Thursday, June 14, 2012

Random Rose

After being off the  road for 2 weeks, routine is starting to set in. Like taking my car instead of a relay vehicle to the car wash

not clear about what to do with the week-end

so, after prodding from a couple of buddies, it was America bound! There's the Peach Arch at the border between White Rock and Blaine, Wash.

A quick 115 mile jaunt and we are already in Seattle.

Aww heck, it's only another 174 miles to Portland, Oregon, I haven't been there since I was 21, let's check it out!

It rained on and off the whole trip

hard at times
a little hard to see sometimes on I-5

GPS don't fail me now.

When in Rome (Portland), might as well go downtown and check it out. (population almost 600,000)

I am a sucker for the old buildings and signage.
As luck would have it, the city was in the midst of their annual Rose Festival, and we just happened to be downtown on the day of the Rose Fest parade! (who doesn't love a parade!)

this building drew my attention because of the old school fire escape running down the front.

It was really cool to be there for the parade.

Hey! don't look at me! I didn't do anything!
they need to lasso a pooper scooper!

a little Alice in Wonderland theme to this group of dancers.

bagpipes! reminds me of the relay.

my favourite, the marching bands!
more randomness, inside the mall downtown was a men's choir that was belting out Beatle's classics, they were awesome!

Pioneer Courthouse square, downtown Portland

lot's of options, (too far to Tipperary, though.)

The courthouse, started construction in 1869, second oldest federal building west of the Mississippi don't you know!
In the square, very nice!

even the firehall is trendy in the historic Alphabet District in Northwest end of downtown

beautiful streets with well kept older homes

trying to get a shot of downtown Portland, but this tree got in the way!

yikes!

at the hotel , there was a Vietnam Veteran's reunion

The mighty Columbia River looking west. (begins it's journey in the Rocky Mountain Trench in British Columia)
looking east

that's it, week-end is over, back through Seattle

These four people caused a huge traffic jam on the interstate.
back in Canada. The next day I had to head to the Rick Hansen office in Richmond to pick-up some paperwork. In the parking lot I saw a for sale sign on a motorhome, man that looks awfully familiar
                              no wonder! hard to believe it was once leading 7,000 difference makers!

No comments:

Post a Comment