Sunday, January 6, 2019

.....and we're off!

The Christmas hiatus was a chance to see some of the World Juniors hockey tournament, hosted by Vancouver and Victoria this year. On this night, junior and I watched the Czechs against Russia. Even though it wasn't team Canada, the energy was very high at Rogers arena, it was a great time. 
The hiatus was chance to get out with the kids for a beer

Kanpai!

The snapchat (which I know zero about) version.
Heading downtown to the World Juniors, now this is NOT a crowded train, lol.

We met up with my bro Skip and his friend Doris before the game.

Tonight, it was Canada against Finland (who eventually won the tournament). Wow, did we have good seats tonight!

The Finland goalie was mighty thirsty stopping all the shots Canada steered at him. In the end, it was Finland who came out on top.

At home, a modest Christmas
junior the jester

I somehow managed to pull off only my third turkey of my limited cooking career.

With all the fixin's, it was a cozy Christmas with the kids and Teala's boyfriend Duncan. (Thanks to Teala for helping get the meal ready, could not of done it without her.)

Even my pumpkin pie turned out quite delicious.

Later on Xmas night, my brother and Doris came for a visit, sweet!

Another shot from Rogers Arena on the night we saw the Czech/Russia game.
We were right behind the penalty box, and seeing this tape made me want to get back to playing hockey again myself.

We had a lot of Russian visitors to the penalty box on this night.


It didn't matter, the Russians won that game 2-1.

On New Year's Eve it was time to put on my Team Canada jersey that I had bought when I was on the Torch Relay, for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.


….. but first, while junior and I were at the Russia/Czech game, the t.v. camera gave the world a great shot of him behind the penalty box!
The hype for the New Year's Eve, Canada-Russia game was massive. 18,000 people cheering on Canada, the mood was set!

The Russian team had a pre-game huddle. We had great seats again, thanks to junior, who bought the tickets. (( I do not want to know how much he spent. (but thank-you, it was a great night))

….and yes, we were that close.

….the longest line-up to the men's washroom I have ever been in.....

It was a really, really close game.

….but in the end, the Russians won the game, and we had to listen to the Russia national anthem instead of what we all wanted to hear, O Canada.

In the end, the Russians won the bronze medal, and Canada finished 6th.

The hiatus also gave me a chance to clean up a little, a I found this blast from the past in a shoebox. (I cannot even guess when this picture of me and my sister Tammy was taken, but jeez, who's the youngsters?)

It's 2019, ready to pounce on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment