Monday, February 27, 2012

Day 184 Claresholm to High River, Alberta

Day 184, a little brisk, but we are Canadians! we can handle it!

Before we left the hotel I had a chance to go for a bit of a walk. I thought I spotted a hawk high on a hill, but when I zoomed in, alas, it was just a pidgeon.

There he is up on the left

I seem to have a bit of a fascination with the railway bridge.
I thought I could get closer, but it was farther away than I thought, and I had to get going.

This tree is down in the valley at Indian Battle Park, again, another place I have to come back and see in the summertime. Indian Battle Park is also the home of Fort Whoop-up (fun to say)

The hill around the park remind me of the Okanagan valley.

Farewell to our home for 6 nights (and I was blessed enough to have my own room for 4 of those nights)

I like the wide open spaces.

These pictures were over a 90 kilometre section of highway 3 and 2a


The start of day 184 was here in Claresholm, but Kayla and I had a medal bearer meeting point in Nanton, Aberta.
Passing by Stavely, population 500

I guess if you are looking for grain elevators instead of using the GPS, you will know when you are in Nanton, it's the brown one!

Downtown Nanton, population about 2,100 Nanton is home to an aviation museum, and the grain elevators have been fully restored and are available for tours.

Another relay first. (for me, anyways) Kayla and I hosted a meeting at the Nanton fire hall. Here is the firefighter's creed.

They had a memorabilia section, including these patches from fire departments in different communities,

including my hometown, Penticton, B.C.

Nanton's difference makers, Sue, Joann, and Terry, who was just injured a year and a half ago. Here is his story:

It's less about how I made a difference in my community then how my community made a difference in me. When I was injured a year and a

half ago nanton rallied behind me with overwhelming support even though I have been going to school and living in Edmonton since 2004 even

going so far as throwing me a very successful fundraiser. They have installed in me the belief that anything is possible and that I will have

unwavering support no matter what challenges I face in my future. By being able to participate in this relay I hope to show my town that, just

like Rick Hansen making a believer out of millions, they have made a believer out of me.

I'd like to keep my friends description of me who nominated me for this relay as well because it was thanks to her I got nominated.

You’ve yet to meet the man who wears a Superman one-zie out on the town …not for Halloween! The guy that chugged an entire bottle of

maple syrup a la Super Troopers, the guy that could always be counted on to paint his chest for the University of Alberta athletics games, &

who continues to drop everything at a moments notice to meet a friend when he’s needed. You’ve yet to meet Terry Tenove, but you should.

Simply, he’ll change your life. Terry is the life of the party & the most reliable friend. An avid athlete, Terry played on every campus recreation

team the University of Alberta had to offer, and could always be found at the gym on campus cheering on his home team or at a local pub

catching whatever sport was in season. Terry lives to be active and has big goals to share his passion for sport, recreation and living an active

lifestyle with his future students. October 7, 2011 marked the one-year anniversary of Terry’s accident. An education student, Terry was in class

on the ice rink. In a collision, Terry’s spine was severed & he is now a quadriplegic, yet this has not dashed his passion for sport and recreation,

nor his willingness to share this passion with his community. Terry is a light in his community, and will be an incredible addition to the relay in

his hometown Nanton, or in Edmonton, where the University community continues to be inspired by Terry.

The three medal bearers decided to do their segment together, which happens a lot, especially in the smaller communities. Here Andrew (part of our pilot vehicle team today) gives some last minute instructions and encouragement.
Kayla and I could not attend the end of day celebration in High River, we had to get going to Calgary, so Kayla could attend one of the Rick Hansen 25th anniversary fundraising galas. Click on this link to learn more about the galas.
In less than one hour we went from small town Nanton to the outskirts of Calgary, which now boasts a population of over one million people.

back in traffic!


i'm speechless!

The iconic Calgary tower. The torch for the 1988 Calgary Olympic relay was designed for the Calgary Towr , and when I worked at the Olympics, the tower was lit the entire time. (They also lit the tower when we came through on the 2010 Olympic torch relay)
We are staying downtown at the Westin, which has no parking for the oversize vehicles, (like my shuttle bus), so parking was arranged behind the Saddledome, home of the Calgary Flames of the NHL



We had to wait about 20 minutes for a cab to figure out where we were.
The excitement of the big city!

Outside the window in my home for the next 6 nights, I can see CTV setting up their satellite truck in preparation for the Rick Hansen gala later that evening.

So we decided to have our 2nd "driver's gala" (first one in Toronto) at the Barley Mill pub down the street.

On the way back, Dawn, Pat, Don, and Marilyn are being "udderly ridiculous!"

No comments:

Post a Comment